Lucinda Gates
Lucinda Gates, daughter of Thomas and Patty (Plumly) Gates, born in Ackworth, Cheshire, New Hampshire, 19 Sep 1797; died in Ogden, Weber, Utah, 3 January 1874; married Erastus Bingham in St. Johnsbury, Caledonia, Vermont, 20 March 1818.  See Descendants of Erastus Bingham and Lucinda Gates.

Thomas Gates, son of Isaac and Mary (Wheeler) Gates, born 7 May 1772 [1776] in Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire; died in Ogden, Weber, Utah, 22 June 1851. He married in Acworth, Sullivan, New Hampshire, 15 December 1796, Patty Plumly, daughter of John and Susannah (Clayton) Plumly, born in Keene, Cheshire, New Hampshire, 27 April [August] 1776; died in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, 18 September 1845.

Thomas Gates and his wife relocated from Saint Johnsbury, Vermont, to Kirtland, Ohio, soon after they joined the Mormon Church.  In 1834, as a member of "Zion's Camp," Thomas went with Joseph Smith to Jackson, County, Missouri, but returned with him to Kirtland where, in February 1835, he was appointed a member of the Second Quorum of Seventies.  See Orson Whitney's History of Utah, Vol. I.  We find Thomas in Missouri again in 1838, but do not know the date of his arrival there.  Having been expelled from Missouri with the rest of the Mormons in 1839, Thomas settled in Nauvoo where, in 1845, he lost his wife.  In 1846, he accompanied his daughter, Lucinda, and her husband, Erastus Bingham, to the camp at Swift River in Iowa, north of Winter Quarters.  On 8 August 1846, Thomas and Erastus were both named High Councilors to George Miller, who presided over the saints in that location.  See An Enduring Legacy, Vol. I.  Thomas, age 75, went to Utah the following year as a member of Bingham's ten, which reached Salt Lake on 19 September 1847.

Children of Thomas GATES and Patty PLUMLY:

Lucinda Gates, married Erastus Bingham.

Sally Gates, born in Ackworth, 31 July 1799; died 23 January 1835. She married  (1) Willard Bingham, son of Elisha Warner Bingham and Sarah Perry, and (2) Elijah Este.

John Gates, born in Marlboro, Cheshire, New Hampshire, 15 December 1800; died 10 September 1880. Married (1) Betsy Ayre and (2) Abigail Currier.

Betsey Gates, born in Ackworth, 8 March 1803; married William Gilbert.

Thomas Gates, born in Ackworth, 13 August 1805; died in Hancock, Illinois, 8 March 1887; married Emeline Dunbar Little.

Patty Gates, born in Saint Johnsbury, Caledonia, Vermont, 10 August 1807; married Guy Carleton Rex.

Almira Gates, born in Saint Johnsbury, 9 February 1810

Marcia [Maria] Gates, born in Saint Johnsbury, 9 February 1810.

Jacob Gates, born in Saint Johnsbury, 9 March 1811; died in Provo, Utah, Utah, 14 April 1892; buried in Provo.  Baptized a Mormon, 18 June 1833. Married (1) Mary Minerva (Millie) Snow (16 March 1833), (2) Elizabeth Hutchings, (3) Emma Forsberry (in Salt Lake, 23 October 1853), (4) Mary Ware (in Salt Lake, 25 October 1862), and probably others.

The following account of Jacob's life and work is from the Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia (1:197-198): Gates, Jacob, one of the First Seven Presidents of Seventies from 1862 to 1892...  His father  was a farmer, and during the early period of Brother Gates' life he worked on the farm. He also worked at the carpenter and joiner trade, and his education was confined to a limited period of time. He married Millie M.  Snow, daughter of Levi Snow and Lucinia Streeter, March 16, 1833. He was baptized by Orson Pratt June 18, 1833, and confirmed a member of the Church the same day by Zerubbabel Snow.  April 11, 1834, with his  young wife, he left his father's house for Missouri, where he arrived June 30, 1834, and located seven miles  west of Liberty, Clay county, which was quite a small village at that time. While here Brother Gates was invited  to go with Caleb Baldwin upon a mission, on which he left Jan. 25, 1836.  At Flat Branch, Sangamon county,  Ill., on Feb. 18, 1836, he was ordained an Elder in the Church under the hands of Elder Baldwin, and on the  25th of the same month he left Edgar county, Ill., to return home to Clay county, in company with 32 souls,  who chose Elder Gates as their captain.  In the fall of 1836 Elder Gates moved to Caldwell county, Mo., a  distance of about fifty miles, where he was ordained a Seventy under the hands of the Prophet Joseph Smith  and Sidney Rigdon, Dec. 19, 1838.  In the same fall (1838) he had been compelled to march under a large  military escort, in company with some fifty-seven other brethren, a distance of about forty miles, to Richmond,  Ray county, to which place Joseph and Hyrum Smith had also been taken from Far West. Elder  Gates' journal says: "It was here that we were tried for all the capital crimes, save one, before Judge Austin A.  King, and we were imprisoned some three weeks. Finally we went each other's bail and were released, when we left for Quincy, Illinois." Not long after this Elder Gates went to Hancock county and received a  commission as ensign in a company of militia. The same month he left home in company with Chandler Holbrook to preach the gospel, going as far east as Kirtland, Ohio...   He left Nauvoo, July 7, 1840, on a mission to La Porte, in the  northern part of Indiana, and the fall of 1841 he went south into Marshall county and organized a branch of the  Church; a goodly number were baptized. In June, 1843, he again left home for a mission to the New England  States, and before going he met the Prophet Joseph. His health was feeble, but the Prophet said: "Go and fill  your mission, and we will wrestle after you come back." The Prophet and Elder Gates would often engage in  the game for exercise. When Elder Gates returned home from his mission, May 26, 1844, he saw the Prophet  for the last time, a little distance from him, on his horse, going to his martyrdom.  At the October conference,  1844, he was ordained and set apart as senior president of the fourth quorum of Seventies, under the hands of  Parley P. and Orson Pratt. In the autumn of 1847 he came to Utah, and in the fall conference of 1849 he was  appointed, with several others, to take a mission to England. He left Salt Lake City Oct. 19, 1849, and  embarked at New Orleans on the steamer "Maine," which arrived in Liverpool April 6, 1850. While on this  mission, which lasted three Years, Elder Gates filled several important positions...  On his return home he was appointed to  take charge of a company of Saints, which he successfully brought across the plains, arriving in Salt Lake City, Sept. 30, 1853. During the following few years he traveled throughout Utah, assisting in the organization of the  different quorums of Seventy. In 1859 he was called on another mission to Europe.  He left Utah Sept.  19, 1859, and reached Liverpool on the 13th day of December. Soon after his arrival there he received a letter  from Pres. Brigham Young, informing him that he had been selected as one of the First Council of Seventies.  While upon this mission he traveled with Apostles Amassa M. Lyman and Charles C. Rich. In 1861 he  returned home; on his way he stopped at the different points and assisted in outfitting companies of  Saints about to cross the plains. At the October conference, 1862, he was ordained a member of the First  Council of Seventies. While living in St. George, Washington county, he served as a member of the county court for several years. He was also elected a member of the house of representatives [in the territorial legislature] to represent the district composed of Washington and Kane counties. He was re-elected three times to the same office, namely, in the years 1864, 1865, 1866 and 1867. He was also  elected a member of the council of the legislative assembly in 1873, to represent Kane and Washington counties. May 12, 1866, he was appointed brigade aid-de-camp, First Brigade of  the Nauvoo Legion in Iron military district, with the rank of colonel of infantry.  Elder Gates died at his residence in Provo, Utah county, Utah, April 14, 1892, as a true and faithful  Latter-day Saint.
We encounter Jacob Gates frequently in the multi-volume works published or supported by Daughters of the Utah Pioneers: Fighting mobs as company commander in the Nauvoo Legion (1845); a member of the first company to reach Salt Lake (1847); entertaining friends in his home at the "Old Fort" (28 December 1847), during which Apostle Parley Pratt spoke on "The Velocity of the Motion of Bodies When Surrounded by a Refined Element"; member of a committee (with Erastus Snow) to locate the city of Saint George; a participant of the Salmon River Mission (1857); unjustly ousted by soldiers of Camp Floyd from the ranch he had opened in Rush Valley in partnership with Daniel Spencer and Jessie C. Little (1859); president of the European mission and, briefly, editor of the Millenial Star (1860); on a preaching tour (1867); a proponent of the Zion's Cooperative Mercantile Institution and Director of the Southern Utah Cooperative Mercantile Association (1868); marrying his son, Jacob F., to Brigham Young's second daughter, Susa (1880).  See, for example, An Enduring Legacy, Our Pioneer Heritage, Encyclopedic History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Obituary Scapbook, Orson Whitney's History of Utah, and Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah.

Lucy Gates, born in Saint Johnsbury, 7 June 1813; died 30 November 1855; married Milo Andurs.

Cynthia Gates, born in Saint Johnsbury, 19 December 1816; died 28 January 1877; married George Beach.